365 78-84...
A day late again. I was at a funeral yesterday and was beat when I got home. It was a weird week and I felt blah and tired all week! But I still got my daily shots! Here they are... Avyree was watching a movie in her room when we realized that she was too quiet. This is what I found. And by the way, that's makeup on her face...
Lazy man's lunch...
Much needed this week...
What I use for white balance in acr...
I ordered my first canvas, which is sad considering June 31st this year will be my 3 year photography anniversary. It's an old photo from my little XSi. I've always wanted to print it on canvas because of the moment between the girls and the scenery! So the quality of the photo isn't all that great, but I love the photo for what it makes me feel and am so glad I finally made it a canvas...
Too tired this week to clean off my desk...
And the saddest part of the week! Gary's funeral. He had family in Texas so the funeral was a week later than it normally would have been. Gary was a close friend of our family for 40 years and my grandma's best friend all those years. We used to joke that they fought like an old married couple even though they were just friends. Most of my childhood memories include Gary and many, many a camping trip with him and grandma bickering and Gary pushing her buttons on purpose because he thought it was funny when she got mad. Gary was a tall man with a loud booming voice and a laugh that could be heard a mile away. He loved to read & bought me many books over the years. He was a very free spirit and always happy. He truly lived each day as it came! He had a heart of gold and would help anyone who needed it, even though he didn't have much to offer than his friendship, time and laughter. Gary didn't need much though. He wasn't materialistic and lived life with less things than most and was happier than most. He lived a very good and full life. He had many many friends who truly loved him for everything he was. He was always up to do anything. He loved adventure and just being with people! I will truly miss you Gary Jones {we always called him Gary Jones not just Gary but said it in this funny voice...it's an inside joke kind of thing} and I am glad that you didn't suffer long. Know you won't be forgotten and will always be remembered with happiness and smiles!
And to my photographer friends that read my blog...if there are any of you out there besides Toni & Lola {lol}. I say this with all of my heart. Please please please do not forget to get snaps of those you love, regardless of the light, the ISO you have to use, a cluttered background etc. As many as you can! I say this because Gary DID live a VERY full life. And during his reception after the service, they had a slide show of images that captured Gary for who he REALLY was. His life and his adventures. That big huge smile with gaps and his crazy curly gray hair! The quality of these images from a photography standpoint were not good. They were point & shoot pictures, most being overexposed. But you know what...it DIDN'T matter. I get a bit choked up writing this. ALL THAT MATTERED was to see Gary for who he was, the joy he had in him and his wonderful and exciting life and the fun adventures he did with great friends! Not one person said "Oh no, what a horrible photo because it's totally overexposed" or "The white balance is off" or "The lighting is so harsh that the background is blown and his face is too shadowed" or "Would you look at how cluttered that background is. Someone should have removed that soda can from the table"! To see him on the screen and watch his life before us was a joy that's hard to describe. And THAT is why I got into photography. To capture who people REALLY are. Sure there were a couple of pro portraits in an album. And guess what, people said, nice picture then watched the slide show of his LIFE! When people are sick or gone, you don't want to remember WHAT they looked like because you already know. You want to remember WHO they were, see the joy on their face. You want to see a person laughing and be able to hear that laugh in your heart and mind! You want to remember the experiences that person had and how they felt during them. You want to see yourself laughing with that person and experiencing life with that person! This is why I take so many pictures of my girls and why I don't care if it's 1pm and the light is harsh or parts are blown. Sure I always strive for the best quality images. BUT ... photography revolves around my life, not my life revolving around photography! When I die and am gone, I want people to see images of me that makes them remember WHO I was. I want my expressions, feelings, my smile from true laughter of that moment, to remind them of me. To remind them of the feelings and fun we had at that specific moment in time when the picture was captured. One of my all time favorite pictures is of my friend Bina & I at Magic Mountain over ten years ago for a film point & shoot. The picture is VERY cool {wb} and underexposed. But the moment David captured when he took it will forever be in my heart. We were in our own world and didn't know he was watching us or about to take a picture. And in true Bina & I style, cracking UP over something Bina said cause she's funny like that! Every.single.time I think about that picture or see it, I'm filled with so much happiness & love I get a little teary! And THAT is why I will ALWAYS and FOREVER to my core, be a lifestyle photographer. Because to me, it's the MOMENTS that count! Thanks for reading if you got this far and I hope it reminds you to capture Life as it Happens because you never know how much time any of us have and pictures can speak a thousand words and memories!
4 comments:
This got me so choked up. Sorry for your loss. AWESOME reminder girl! Life is too short to miss the important things, and I love that saying "its the small moments, that make life big" SO true.
Hey you... I am obviously no photographer !! With me and my little point and shoot. But the way you expressed about pictures is how I believe it to be..... In 30 years when our girls are gone and married, the pictures in a scrapbook or in a photo album will flood the memories back in our hearts. To this day, I still pull out old pics just to go down memory lane..... I am soooo sorry for your loss. I wish had comforting words, alas they fail right now. Take comfort in the memories!! They'll take you far!!
I love what you wrote at the end of your post - such a great reminder, thank you! Along those lines, I need to get in front of the camera once in a while...but it's always, my hair looks bad, I look tired, I'm not wearing the right stuff..you know. My kids don't care about any of that stuff; they'll just want to see picutures of their mom.
Gorgeous pictures as always! Love them all! :-)
I think it really is so important to remember the whole purpose of pictures. Yes we want them to be pretty and good quaility, lighting focus, comp etc etc. But yes, in the end it's the memory the images bring to our hearts that will REALLY matter! I've always felt this way and Gary's celebration of life just brought it home!
Karli...this is the ONE area that I am really bad at. I'm 20lbs heavier than I've been since before I had Avyree. After Haylee I lost it & more and after battling bulimia and the issue I had, it's been hard to get in front of the camera now! But really...it's SO imporant. When we are gone, our children won't care what we looked like. They will WANT & NEED images of us with them to remember us! It's time I changed that...thank you Karli!
Post a Comment