Idaho...Part FOUR...
Our trip up to Sandpoint! We jumped in my dad's 4Runner and headed up to the small cute little town of Sandpoint! There were lots of views along the way. Please keep in mind that almost all of the scenic shots where shot through the window of my dad's 4Runner, which because of the weather, had spots all over it. So you will see some spots and reflections from the window in some shots. Most were also taken while driving, hence not rolling down the window and freezing everyone in the car! Ha!
Sandpoint is a little different than I thought it would be. I thought it would be more trendy with the sky resort close by. But I still loved the old buildings and actually liked how non-trendy it was! Reminded me a little of Bishop, CA where my dad lived for many years...without the icky desert of course! Lol!


Then we stopped for a bite to eat and had some yummy food! This was Haylee's favorite place to eat. Mine was O'Malley's in Rathdrum. The have THE BEST Asian Chicken Salad!



While we were waiting for our food it started hailing. They call it hail but I call it snow! In Cali when it hails it HURTS. This hail may not have been flakes and in the form of balls, it was still really soft and didn't hurt when it hit you! Lol! So I call it SNOW! :O) As you can see the girls LOVED it! Notice Avyree trying to eat it off the sidewalk...oh geeze!

Pop and his grandgirls! I love and miss you SO much Dad...the girls too! They talk about you all the time! OXXO

So to prevent Avyree from eating it off of the ground I said something extremely simple, yet very effective. "Catch the snow in your hands, THEN eat it"! Amazing what something so simple can achieve! Lol!

Back outside and in the car to take in more scenery! "Rain drops keep fallin on my.......window!"! Lol! As you can see, this does create a problem when shooting through the window. I did think these turned out cool tho. Had to use MF because it kept catching on everything outside the window as we drove!

Lake Pend Oreille in the 1st 3 pics! Boy what I would give to own one of the houses that are on those islands! Breathtaking! While driving we saw a train speed by. And just a little swamp area in the community where the dear room. You'll see them 2 pics down!

Everywhere you look is a gorgeous mountain with snow. I loved that the weather was dramatic because it provided so much mood the the shots with the mountains in them!

And here are the dear! This is a little community that lives on the lake! Well not ON the lake...you know what I mean! Lol! It's such a beautiful little area back here and I could so imagine retiring back here. There are so many dears that roam this little community and graze in people's yards. In the bottom photo, we had the window open on Avyree's side and the dear thought she had food and was coming up to the window!

Variety...is the spice of my life! I LOVE variety! In shooting and editing. I love to take a shot and make it my own. Play with tones, grain etc. Go wherever my heart takes me. So in the next 2 collages, they are each a slighty different shot, as we are driving. So instead of choosing one to post, which as you can see I'm VERY bad at...I edited each shot differently and had lots of creative fun just playing! I LOVE this series of shots. I LOVE the dramatic lighting. My only focus while shooting these was to preserve the detail in the white center clouds. It was quite dark, yet right in the middle of these dark parted clouds was just a hint of blue, then the most beautiful, most details and puffy white clouds I've ever seen. The contrast of the dark clouds, the blue sky and the white clouds took my breath away. One of these will get printed eventually!


Now this shot tho, may be my favorite scenery shot from my trip! There is just something about it that speaks to me. It's soft and subtle, a little dreamy, yet has depth, color and detail. This shot would not have been the same without the misty clouds grazing along the top of the mountains! I love the way the part in the mountain reflects the light into the center of the river! I think this one will get printed as well. I am however bummed that you can see the reflection of my jacket in the window. Not bad for shooting through a dirty window while doing 70 down the highway huh?! Lol!

Just playing around in the 4Runner. A burn on the side of the road. Very common up there. People do brush burns in the yards too! I tripped out the first time I saw someone burning a pile of brush on their property the 1st time we went up there! Lol!

We headed up to the Dam. Wow was it breathtaking up here! My pictures do not do it justice. I wish we could've taken that little road all the way down because I can only imagine how much more beautiful it got! I played a little with SS. Top is a faster SS to stop motion and the center is a slow SS to show motion. Top shot SS was 1/250 and the 2nd was 1/4. Luckily there was a barb wire fence to rest my camera on because my hands sure aren't steady enough for 1/4. On the last shot you can't see it, but there is a guy on a dirt bike riding across the dam! My dad HATES dirt bikes, so I HAD to capture it! Lol! I should've posted a zoomed in shot too! Oh well! You get the idea!

The view the other way! WOW is all I can say!

The girls playing around at the Dam. Haylee looks so grown up to me in the top right shot!

Then for fun we headed over to the Montana boarder! We actually drove over the Mountain Standard Time zone which my dad and I thought was cool. Yeah, we are nerds like that! :O)

Then on the way home we stopped at a gas station and THIS happened. And as you can see, the girls were thrilled again. It really came down! Look at my Nugget!

Haylee was just amazed by it! Neither girl had ever seen snow falling! My sweet Haylee!

Pop, wearing his summer clothes. He makes me shiver just looking at him! We were only there for about 10 minutes, but this is how much came down that quickly!

And the last 2 pics of the day! Here is one time I really wished I'd had my dad pull over! And he would've if I'd asked. Between the clouds and the silhouette of the roller coaster, I'm over the moon with these shots. The composition is less to be desired, which is why I wish we would've pulled over! Shot these two through the window going 70 down the highway! Oh well, I'm still happy with them!


And that is it for today! I hope you enjoyed our trip up to Sandpoint and the Montana boarder! I shot the wedding this last Sat and have a baby shower to shoot this Sat. So I'm trying to find balance and continuing the Idaho shots, but keeping my word..and contract, to the shoots I've accepted. So bare with me!
Hope all is well and thanks for stoppin by! :O)
Sandpoint is a little different than I thought it would be. I thought it would be more trendy with the sky resort close by. But I still loved the old buildings and actually liked how non-trendy it was! Reminded me a little of Bishop, CA where my dad lived for many years...without the icky desert of course! Lol!


Then we stopped for a bite to eat and had some yummy food! This was Haylee's favorite place to eat. Mine was O'Malley's in Rathdrum. The have THE BEST Asian Chicken Salad!



While we were waiting for our food it started hailing. They call it hail but I call it snow! In Cali when it hails it HURTS. This hail may not have been flakes and in the form of balls, it was still really soft and didn't hurt when it hit you! Lol! So I call it SNOW! :O) As you can see the girls LOVED it! Notice Avyree trying to eat it off the sidewalk...oh geeze!

Pop and his grandgirls! I love and miss you SO much Dad...the girls too! They talk about you all the time! OXXO

So to prevent Avyree from eating it off of the ground I said something extremely simple, yet very effective. "Catch the snow in your hands, THEN eat it"! Amazing what something so simple can achieve! Lol!

Back outside and in the car to take in more scenery! "Rain drops keep fallin on my.......window!"! Lol! As you can see, this does create a problem when shooting through the window. I did think these turned out cool tho. Had to use MF because it kept catching on everything outside the window as we drove!

Lake Pend Oreille in the 1st 3 pics! Boy what I would give to own one of the houses that are on those islands! Breathtaking! While driving we saw a train speed by. And just a little swamp area in the community where the dear room. You'll see them 2 pics down!

Everywhere you look is a gorgeous mountain with snow. I loved that the weather was dramatic because it provided so much mood the the shots with the mountains in them!

And here are the dear! This is a little community that lives on the lake! Well not ON the lake...you know what I mean! Lol! It's such a beautiful little area back here and I could so imagine retiring back here. There are so many dears that roam this little community and graze in people's yards. In the bottom photo, we had the window open on Avyree's side and the dear thought she had food and was coming up to the window!

Variety...is the spice of my life! I LOVE variety! In shooting and editing. I love to take a shot and make it my own. Play with tones, grain etc. Go wherever my heart takes me. So in the next 2 collages, they are each a slighty different shot, as we are driving. So instead of choosing one to post, which as you can see I'm VERY bad at...I edited each shot differently and had lots of creative fun just playing! I LOVE this series of shots. I LOVE the dramatic lighting. My only focus while shooting these was to preserve the detail in the white center clouds. It was quite dark, yet right in the middle of these dark parted clouds was just a hint of blue, then the most beautiful, most details and puffy white clouds I've ever seen. The contrast of the dark clouds, the blue sky and the white clouds took my breath away. One of these will get printed eventually!


Now this shot tho, may be my favorite scenery shot from my trip! There is just something about it that speaks to me. It's soft and subtle, a little dreamy, yet has depth, color and detail. This shot would not have been the same without the misty clouds grazing along the top of the mountains! I love the way the part in the mountain reflects the light into the center of the river! I think this one will get printed as well. I am however bummed that you can see the reflection of my jacket in the window. Not bad for shooting through a dirty window while doing 70 down the highway huh?! Lol!

Just playing around in the 4Runner. A burn on the side of the road. Very common up there. People do brush burns in the yards too! I tripped out the first time I saw someone burning a pile of brush on their property the 1st time we went up there! Lol!

We headed up to the Dam. Wow was it breathtaking up here! My pictures do not do it justice. I wish we could've taken that little road all the way down because I can only imagine how much more beautiful it got! I played a little with SS. Top is a faster SS to stop motion and the center is a slow SS to show motion. Top shot SS was 1/250 and the 2nd was 1/4. Luckily there was a barb wire fence to rest my camera on because my hands sure aren't steady enough for 1/4. On the last shot you can't see it, but there is a guy on a dirt bike riding across the dam! My dad HATES dirt bikes, so I HAD to capture it! Lol! I should've posted a zoomed in shot too! Oh well! You get the idea!

The view the other way! WOW is all I can say!

The girls playing around at the Dam. Haylee looks so grown up to me in the top right shot!

Then for fun we headed over to the Montana boarder! We actually drove over the Mountain Standard Time zone which my dad and I thought was cool. Yeah, we are nerds like that! :O)

Then on the way home we stopped at a gas station and THIS happened. And as you can see, the girls were thrilled again. It really came down! Look at my Nugget!

Haylee was just amazed by it! Neither girl had ever seen snow falling! My sweet Haylee!

Pop, wearing his summer clothes. He makes me shiver just looking at him! We were only there for about 10 minutes, but this is how much came down that quickly!

And the last 2 pics of the day! Here is one time I really wished I'd had my dad pull over! And he would've if I'd asked. Between the clouds and the silhouette of the roller coaster, I'm over the moon with these shots. The composition is less to be desired, which is why I wish we would've pulled over! Shot these two through the window going 70 down the highway! Oh well, I'm still happy with them!


And that is it for today! I hope you enjoyed our trip up to Sandpoint and the Montana boarder! I shot the wedding this last Sat and have a baby shower to shoot this Sat. So I'm trying to find balance and continuing the Idaho shots, but keeping my word..and contract, to the shoots I've accepted. So bare with me!
Hope all is well and thanks for stoppin by! :O)
2 comments:
OMG! Crystal! The shots of the "clouds and blue skies" are amazing! And the water flow in the dam is awesome. You definitely have to frame these! Isn't amazing what beauty you find other than in CA? And CA has way more than AZ! :)xoxo.
those are absolute beautiful pics Crystal - made me want to push my trip to Idaho up closer than later! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment