Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Emergency surgery for one of our pets...

Phew...what a last couple of days! Long story short...our big fat kitty named Thor ate some birthday ribbon, balloon ribbon & the elastic string on Avyree's brand new real ballet shoes she got for her birthday! He was throwing up for almost two days. I forgot he had eaten the balloon ribbon (the only one I knew about) until I took him to our local vet and we started talking! Then I remembered the balloon and the fact that the long string was down to about an inch! He was dehydrated from not drinking for two days as well. So we hooked him up to liquids via IV and ordered Xrays. The Xrays showed that indeed....there was a large blockage in his intestines! Poor Thor and poor checking account. After the $450 it cost just for the visit, xrays and liquids I got a minimum quote from my vet for the surgery...$3500! YIKES! After a phone call to my crazy cat lady best friend Sabina...she referred me to a GREAT vet that was much cheaper! We picked up Thor from our vet and headed to the new vet. Later that day he has the surgery and boy was it a large blockage! That is when I learned he had eaten the ballet shoe string and the birthday ribbon. On part of one of the ribbons you could read the words "happy birthday"! No joke! They now call him the Happy Birthday Kitty! It came from this present...



The surgery went well and we fell in love with the new vet and will be going there from now on. Not only are they cheaper but are truly the nicest and most compassionate people...to the animals and the owners! They told us we could come visit him everyday and to call in the morning for an update on him. So I called this morning at 9am and the vet told me that Thor started the morning with a very high fever (but no signs of infection). Cats run normal at 102.5 and Thor was at 107! I about died and was so worried! They gave him chilled liquids in his IV and so far so good. The fever is gone and hasn't come back!

So the girls & I went to see him today and I brought my camera along! I only took a couple but we spent almost an hour with him. He's such an awesome laid back cat and has won the hearts of everyone there. They can do anything to him and he just lays there and chills. But I knew he was really scared because his pupils were HUGE! No hissing, growling, ears not back...just wide eyes! But after we were there for about twenty minutes, his pupils went back to normal. So I knew we were helping him by going to visit and loving him up for an hour! So we'll be going back everyday until he gets home. The vet wants to keep him until at least Saturday (he had the surgery yesterday) which is a bummer. But we know he's in good loving hands and will get better before he joins the loud crazy house again. And we have a new rule in the house...no balloons or strings!

Here is our poor baby Thor...

Haylee giving Thor love! Thor loves Haylee! She is calm and laid back like him...



Aw...my poor scared baby...


Thank you little machine for giving my boy the liquids he needs...


He never moved from the back of the cage but relaxed soon after we got there...


Hi Thor "Happy Birthday Kitty" Ziegenfuss! Hurry up and get better so you can sleep with me! I miss you...


Oh my sweet baby! I just wanted to curl up inside there with him and cuddle him. You can already see that his pupils were getting smaller! Love you big boy...


Oh...and the new vet will be charging us a MAXIMUM of $2500! So at least a $1000 cheaper and I have a feeling it would have been even more than $3500 at our vet! Sorry Ancu...I do love you but that's just a rip off! I'm pretty sure since he has to stay until Saturday, it will be the full $2500...plus the $450 I already spent at our vet! Expensive week...

If you got this far..thank you and please keep our kitty in your thoughts. He's a part of our hearts and we need him home!

0 comments:

Followers

About This Blog

This is Our Ziggy Family blog. Random shots of the craziness that takes place at the Ziggy house. Thanks for stopping by!

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP